Looking for a really fast and easy recipe? This is it! I created it because I had a bunch of beautiful ripe and ready veggies that needed using up. I chopped everything up, put it all in a pan and started it to simmering. I went outside for a moment to empty my compost and as I walked past the window the smells coming out of the kitchen were tantalizing! The flavors were sooo satisfying. This has become a regular around here especially with all the wonderful okra and tomatoes at the markets. I hope you enjoy it too!
This is an oil free recipe, using only water to sauté with. If you have access to gumbo file´powder add it for more authentic gumbo flavor. I don’t have any so I didn’t use it. Make it as spicy as you like. Add more or less hot peppers or cayenne pepper to taste.
Get creative and add other veggies as your imagination leads you. Try adding fresh corn. Or leftover or canned beans. If you enjoy the “fake” meats, add vegan sausage. Add some seafood flavor by adding dulse or other other seaweed flakes. Make it more of a stew by adding more water or vegetable stock.
I’d love to hear about your creations. Post your version in the comments below or share a photo over on our Facebook page.
- 2 cups chopped okra
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 small zucchini chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 hot peppers finely chopped
- 2-6 TBL water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp file´ powder (optional)
- 2 tsp mixed herbs or Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Add onions and garlic to a heavy bottom pan
- Add 2 TBL water
- Salute over medium high heat until the onion softens
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well
- Continue simmering until tomatoes are saucy and okra is tender
- Add more water as needed to keep from burning or sticking
- That's it!
- Try adding beans, corn or other veggies as your imagination leads you