I am gearing up for Vegan MoFo 2014 (vegan month of food) which begins on September 1st. I will be focusing in part on who we are as Black Vegetarians and Vegans. During that month I will post an article, recipe or something everyday (or every weekday). Make sure you are on our email list so that you get all the post updates.
Who do you think of when you think “Black Vegetarian?” A quick note here to say THANK YOU to all who took our survey about who we are as Black Vegetarians. I am very pleased with the response. There were 38 out of 46 who completed the survey. That is a completion rate of 82%! A good rate.
I don’t pretend that this is representative of black vegetarians as a whole, just a look at 38 different people, their views and their experiences. The purpose is not to make any generalizations about us as a group. The purpose is to give expression to some of the many different stories, experiences and motivations of those of us who have chosen this lifestyle.
I will begin sharing the results of the survey beginning next week, but here is a sneak peek.
- Most respondents were women.
- Ages ranged from 18-81. Most folks were in their 50s, followed by the 30s and then the 40s.
- Respondents to the survey live coast to coast and even one from Arusha Tanzania!
- Nineteen were from the Atlanta area, which isn’t surprising since that is where we are based.
- Seven were from California.
- Other areas include Portland, OR, the DC area, Nevada, Colorado, Florida, Seattle, Connecticut, New York, Nashville TN, Chicago area, Texas, North Carolina and Virginia.
Other questions I asked were why folks became vegetarian and the impact it has had on their lives. I asked about how their friends and family do or don’t support them. I also asked respondents to tell why they think being vegetarian is (or is not) important for us as people of Afrikan descent. The answers were great and I look forward to sharing them with in September.
If you took part in the survey (or even if you didn’t) and would love to have your photo to include in an updated version of this photo of black vegetarians. Please email your photo to me at foodforthesoul(at)opare.net by Friday, August 26th, 2014.
Make sure you are on our email list so you can get updates about the responses and all of the other great content that will be featured for Vegan MoFo 2014. And if you know of others who might be interested, be sure to share this post with them so they can get on the email list too!