Breakfast is sometimes a challenge for people. Especially those eating a living food diet. Smoothies are great but sometimes you need a change. This sweet and spicy raw vegan porridge really hits the spot. I top it with my homemade almond milk. You can find the recipe here.
This recipe is a hearty cereal that is naturally sweetened with fresh and dried fruit. It can be warmed slightly by warming the nut milk and is naturally warming with ginger and cinnamon. It starts with a base of apple and pecans. The flavors deepen with fresh and dried spices and fresh and dried fruit. Very satisfying!
This recipe would work with other fresh and dried fruits as well. Try using a firm pear instead of the apple. Replace the pineapple with other firm fruit.
The pecans could be replaced with walnuts. Or use all seeds if you want to avoid nuts. Use whatever dried fruit you have on hand, cranberries, cherries, dates, etc. For the fresh fruit try fresh mango, kiwi, raspberries or whatever is in season.
Spice it up even more with nutmeg and cardamom. Try a dash of ground cloves.
I used a small food processor attachment I have from an old blender but you can use a larger food processor as well.
- 1 small Apple, cored
- ½ cup pineapple.
- ½ cup pecans
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup dried fruit I used apricots, mango and raisins
- ¼ inch piece of fresh ginger, pealed
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- ½ cup nut milk
- ½ banana
- ½ cup berries
- Place first 8 ingredients into the processor
- Pulse to process until everything is well chopped but still chunky
- Transfer to a bowl
- Add chia and hemp seeds and mix well
- Pour milk over cereal and mix
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes to allow chia to absorb milk
- For warm cereal, heat milk slightly before adding to cereal
- Top with banana and berries mix and serve.
This sweet and spicy raw vegan porridge has become a favorite of mine and I bet you will love it too. Give it a try and see and let me know what you think.