Do you ever wonder what to eat for breakfast? Especially on the weekend mornings when you want something special? Well, scrambled tofu is for you! Believe it or not I had never made it before this past weekend. I have eaten it but not tried making it myself. This recipe is how Nana Kwaku makes it.
I also tried making tempeh bacon. That recipe needs a bit of work. Is was ok but I won’t share it until I work on it a bit more.
You can use either soft or firm tofu. I suggest you press your tofu before you crumble it. To press it, lay a few sheets of paper towel on a shallow dish. Place tofu on top. Place an inverted plate on top and the put something heavy on top of that. This will help some of the excess liquid come out of the tofu. Otherwise your scramble may end up watery.
- 1 block soft or firm tofu (NOT silken)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped or sliced thin
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3-4 baby bella mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lay several sheets of paper towel on a low dish such as a pie plate
- Place tofu on top of paper towel
- Place another layer of towel on top of tofu
- Place a small plate upside down on top of tofu
- Place something heavy like canned goods or a cook book on top of plate
- Let sit for 30 minutes or so.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft
- Add mushrooms and peppers and stir
- Crumble the tofu and add to pan
- Add turmeric and mix well
- Saute until heated through
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve immediately
What’s on your brunch menu?