I have been thinking about rawtella for some time. I saw that a commercial rawtella (a raw version of the popular Nutella spread) was available. I have never bought it but I decided to try to make it. A couple of weeks ago I found some raw hazelnuts at my favorite market and decided the time had come. I have been debating whether to post it or not because I wasn’t really thrilled with the results. But several taste testers said I should go ahead.
The taste is great but it isn’t as creamy as I had thought it would be. I will continue to experiment and I will update this later if I find the key to a texture more similar to the Nutella spread I fell in love with years ago on a trip to France.
This chocolate hazelnut spread is great for spreading on or dipping fresh fruit such as strawberries, apples, bananas etc. You can also spread it on crepes, pancakes, or other breads.
For this recipe I used raw hazelnuts, raw cacao powder, coconut oil, medjool dates, and a bit of salt.
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 2 TBL melted coconut oil
- 2 TBL raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 medjool dates
- ¼ tsp salt
- Remove pits from dates and cover with water.
- Set dates aside to soak for 15-30 minutes.
- Grind hazlenuts in your food processor until very fine.
- Drain dates and reserve the soak water.
- Add dates, oil vanilla, cacao powder and salt to nuts.
- Process until combined and it reaches the desired consistency.
- You will need to stop and scrape down the sides of the processor bowl from time to time.
- Add some of the date soak water a tablespoon at a time if needed.
- Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week