Pho is a Vietnamese soup with rice noodles, fresh herbs and vegetables and is seasoned with a fantastic combination of spices. It's a popular street food often eaten for breakfast in Vietnam. Traditionally the broth is made with a variety of meats and it's the most important part of the soup. Blah broth means blah pho. The fresh herbs and veggies are served on the side so that you can add them just before you eat it to keep them crisp. Diners may make a dip sauce by mixing siracha and hoisin sauce is a small bowl. Then they'll dip a bite into the sauce.
This version takes the traditional cooked recipe and creates a delicious raw vegan dish with the surprising flavor of anise or Chinese five spice. Because our broth is not cooked we don't need to serve the veggies on the side. We'll substitute mushrooms for the meat in the broth.
I've used kelp noodles in the recipe but you can use zucchini noodles if you prefer. Sea Tangle brand kelp noodles are clear and don't have a lot of taste. They are a bit crunchy. You can find them at your health food store.
My recipe was inspired by a recipe in Ani's Raw Food Essentials by Ani Phyo. Her recipe books are among my go to books. If you are looking for raw food recipe books I highly recommend checking Ani out.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup shitaki mushrooms sliced
- 1 TBL minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup organic shoyu, coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground anise or Chinese five spice
- 4 cups water, you can heat it to room temperature for a warmer soup
- 3 cups kelp noodles rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup sunflower or mung bean sprouts
- ½ cup snow peas sliced diagonally
- ½ cup
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 small Thai chili, sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Place onion, garlic,, mushrooms, ginger, spices and shoyu and kelp noodles in a large bowl and let it marinate while you prepare the vegetables.
- Chop the remaining veggies and divide them between your serving bowls.
- Add the warm water to the marinating onion and mushrooms and stir.
- Divide and pour over the veggies.
- Serve with a wedge of lime
Give it a try and let me know what you think.