Recently I came across this super easy recipe that is adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe. In this pasta dish you cook all the ingredients along with the pasta creating a thick rich sauce. It is very quick and satisfying.
- 12 ounces linguine, spaghetti or the pasta of your choice
- 1 cup roma tomatoes chopped or cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small to medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
- 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs basil, chopped
- 2 cups of one or more of your choice of chopped vegetables; for example broccoli, zucchini, bell pepper
- 2-4 TBLS extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms (optional). These add an even richer flavor to the sauce.
Combine all ingredients except chopped vegetables of your choice in a pot or deep skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat.