What do vegans eat for breakfast? This is one of the common question I often hear. Especially for a weekend brunch. What can you serve that is special? Here is my favorite way to make breakfast potatoes or home fries with no oil. I add fresh veggies such as greens or mushrooms and zucchini to make a flavorful dish you’ll love. Top with avocado slices and/or cashew sour cream or vegan yogurt to give it a more creamy (i.e. fatty) mouth feel. You can serve this dish with with tofu scramble, tempeh bacon fruit salad etc.
Eating plant-based, vegan, healthy or oil-free doesn’t have to mean giving up all the foods you love. Did you know you can sauté with just water or broth? We aim to eat as little oil as possible. I find that eliminating the oil from my diet has been the piece that has helped me lose the last stubborn pounds and reshape my mid-section.
For the Hamilton Beach juice press I mentioned in the video go to http://amzn.to/2FsftGJ. It makes fresh squeezed citrus juice (and passion fruit) in a jiffy.
- 6-8 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- ½ bunch of fresh collard greens or kale or a mixture of your favorite greens
- ¼ cup fresh or 1 tsp dried herbs
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes or chopped hot pepper (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- Avocado slices or cashew cream (optional)
- Slice the potatoes
- Place in a pot of water and boil until tender
- Meanwhile chop the onions, peppers, and garlic and add to a skillet
- Add a few tablespoons of water and cook over medium high heat stirring frequently
- Stack the greens and roll into a tube.
- Slice the greens in thin slices
- Once onion have softened add the greens to the skillet and stir to mix
- Add herbs and red pepper flakes
- Add salt to taste
- Stir to mix
- Drain the the cooked potatoes and add them to the skillet
- Mix well
- Add lemon juice and fresh ground black pepper.
- Mix again
- Garnish with paprika
Give it a try and let me know what you think. Are you eating oil free? What are your tricks and tips? Share them in the comments below.