Recently I had a conversation with a reader who echoes a problem I know many people have. “I want to eat raw but when I get home from work I am too tired to figure out what to fix so I end up eating vegan junk food.” Sound familiar? I know being tired is one of my downfalls too. So here are 10 fast and easy meals you can make.
But first you do need to do a bit of work. There are links in this article to many of my former posts that can help you along the way. Take time to read or re-read them. Bookmark or print out recipes from our recipe box (or elsewhere) that sound good to you and easy to make.
To be ready for your busy days you WILL need to do a bit of pre-preparing. So on the weekend or a day when you have a bit more time make one or more of these items:
Grow some sprouts – These will be great to add to salads and sandwiches. This is very fast and easy to do but it will take about 3 or 4 days for your seeds sprout. Here again is how to grow sprouts.
A nut burger or sage burger– Having these on hand is wonderful for throwing together a quick sandwich, toping pizza, adding to salads etc.
Pizza crusts will keep for a week or more in the fridge.
Keep these ingredients on hand (and get rid of the junk!)
- Sauerkraut -A great addition to salads and sandwiches. There are some good ready make raw brands out there. Here is a great article by my friend Vanya Francis about sauerkraut.
- Avocados – Have a bunch of these. These can easily be a part of your meal everyday. I buy some hard ones and some softer ones. This way they will last through the week.
- Salad fixings
- Lemons and limes
- Sprouts (if you don’t grow your own)
- Firm veggies such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflower etc.
- Collard greens or romaine lettuce to use as wraps
- Kelp noodles
Make one easy multi-use recipe on as many days as you can. These will be added to the pre-prepared items above in a variety of ways. You will use it for your meal today plus add it to other items on future days.
- Mayo – This will go on sandwiches, burger, top pate, can even be used as a salad dressing.
- Nut or seed Pate – Vary the flavor by varying the seasoning.
- Marinara sauce – This makes a good sandwich topping, a pizza sauce, salad dressing and more.
- Seed or nut cheese
- Eggless egg salad
- Vinaigrette dressing – Make enough for several salads.
Now you are ready!
Here are some examples of tasty meals you can make in 15-30 minutes if you have done the above preparing. These are just starters. You can combine your items in many ways.
- Salad with half an avocado filled with a scoop of pate
- Marinated veggies and an avocado, tomato, sauerkraut, sprout sandwich
- Burger and Kale Salad
- Collard Green wrap, filled with chopped veggies, sauerkraut, and eggless egg salad
- Fill romaine lettuce leaves with pate, or guacamole and chopped veggies, top with salsa, dressing, or mayo
- Guacamole with veggies and onion bread to dip it with
- Kelp noodles with marinara sauce and crumbled sage burger
- Pizza with maranara sauce, seed cheese, avocado, sprouts and your favorite veggie toppings
- Eggless egg salad on thick tomato slices
- Raw ravioli
- Choose two or three easy but meal worthy salad recipes and make sure you have the ingredients.
You can do it! I know you can.
Do you have fast raw/living foods meal ideas? Please share!