You may think raw soups are a new thing created by the raw or living foods movement but gazpacho is a raw vegan dish that has been eaten in Spain and South America for generations. It is especially good right now in the height of summer while tomatoes are at their most flavorful. If you have a garden full of tomatoes, lucky you!
Feel free as always to adapt this recipe to reflect your favorite flavors and what you have on hand. This version has some heat to it from the cayenne or jalapeño. If you prefer something milder simply omit it, or add even more to kick it up a notch!
- 3 cups chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped cilantro or basil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 TBL lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or ½ jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- Add 2 cups of the tomatoes to your food processor. Set remainder aside.
- Add the garlic, parsley, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and cayenne.
- Process until well combined and fairly smooth.
- Add the bell pepper and cucumber and process briefly to combine.
- For a chunky soup pulse only until mixed in. For a smoother soup process a bit longer.
- Pour into serving bowls.
- Top with avocado (optional) and/or cilantro.