I recently receive several eggplants in our CSA box. I decided to use them to make a live food bacon. This is a quick and easy recipe.
Having this bacon on hand is a great way to add some variety to your meals. I like to crumble it on salads, or add it to sandwiches. In this sandwich I used kamut bread, lettuce, tomato, and avocado, along with the eggplant bacon.
It keeps well in an airtight container, stored in your pantry. If you store it in the fridge it tends to get soggy.
- 2 large or 3 medium eggplants
- ⅓ cup Nama Shoyu or soy sauce
- 2 TBL coconut nectar or other natural sweetener
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix the marinade ingredients together.
- Peel the eggplants.
- Use the peeler to cut 1 inch wide very thin slices lengthwise down the eggplant with your peeler. Stop when you get to the seeds.
- Place eggplant slices in a low dish.
- Pour marinade over slices
- Stir to coat all the slices.
- Marinate for 1 hour
- Lay the strips on your mesh dehydrator sheets.
- Dehydrate for at least 12 hours.
- Keep in an airtight container at room temperature.