I’m all about making things simpler in my life when possible. BUT I still want great tasting food. That’s why I created this simplified Vegan Laksa Curry Soup recipe. It’s a simplified version of a recipe I love from Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen.
We often eat soup for breakfast. Usually an Asian inspired vegetable noodle soup with lots of ginger, garlic and pepper. After making Vegan Richa’s recipe a couple of times, which involves making the curry paste, then the soup, I decided to see if I could simplify it. It worked great.
Instead of making the curry paste, I just added most of the curry ingredients directly to the soup. Voila! Easy, tasty and satisfying vegan laksa curry soup.
Here’s how I usually make my vegetable noodle soup. I start with about 6 cups of water. I add 1 bullion cube and a couple of teaspoons of miso. Then I toss in some minced garlic and minced ginger. While that heats up I chop my veggies, green onion, mushrooms and whatever else I have. Snow peas, broccoli, red bell pepper, baby corn, spinach, whatever I have in my fridge.
Once the water is boiling I add the veggies (saving out the ones that only need a moment to cook so nothing gets over cooked.) Then I add Thai style rice noodles, soy sauce, white pepper, toasted sesame oil, a touch of rice vinegar, and maybe Chinese Five Spice. Once the noodles are almost done I’ll add in any veggies I saved for last.
To turn this into Laksa curry I also added ground cumin, coriander and turmeric and some chopped lemongrass. I swapped the vinegar for some lime juice. I tossed in a chopped hot pepper (cayenne would work too.) Towards the end I also added ½ cup coconut milk or ⅓ cup coconut cream.
- 1 bullion cube
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 6 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk lemon grass sliced very thin
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 hot chili pepper of ½ tsp red pepper flakes or ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 TBL soy sauce
- ¼ tsp toasted sesame oil
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped veggies of your choice
- 6-8 oz Thai style rice noodles
- ½ cup coconut milk or ⅓ cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Handful of chopped cilantro (optional)
- Add water, bullion and miso paste to your pot
- Bring water to boil
- Add green onions, garlic, ginger and lemongrass
- Add mushrooms and hot pepper
- Add chopped veggies, saving those that cook very fast for the last few minutes
- Add noodles and stir well
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil, and the spices
- When the noodle are almost done, add the coconut milk
- Add any remaining veggies and the lime juice
- Cook until veggies are tender crisp and noodles soft but not mushy
- Serve, topped with chopped cilantro
Ooo weee! It was delicious! I’m sure it will be a recurring feature at our breakfast table. Do give it a try (and try soup for breakfast too.) And check out Vegan Richa’s recipe book for many great international recipes. I love her Indian recipe book too.
What do you think? Will you give this a try? Let me know in the comments. And tell me what vegan recipes you’ve been wanting to know how to make.