Curried Coconut “Meat” makes a great living or raw food sandwich or wrap filler. It would also be a nice addition to a salad. Make this ahead of time for a quick and easy live food meal after work.
This recipe is an adaption of Cocophoria from one of my favorite raw food recipe books, The Rawvolution Continues, by Matt and Janabai Amsden. (Rawvolution is a good one too.) I find that many of their recipes only need a bit of tweaking.
See here for instructions on opening coconuts and removing meat.
- Meat from two young coconuts.
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp coconut aminos or Nama Shoyu or soy sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- pinch of chipotle pepper powder or cayenne pepper
- Cut the coconut meat into thin strips. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl or container with a lid. Add the coconut meat and stir to be sure each piece is coated with the marinade. Cover and set in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or over night. The flavor increases the longer it marinates.
- Spread the meat on a dehydrator tray that is lined with a dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate at 110º for 8-12 hours depending on your desired texture or dryness/crispness.