It’s been a while, I know, since I’ve posted. I’ve been so busy with my web/graphic design work that I’ve hardly had time to keep up here on Food For The Soul. You’ve been on my mind but I just couldn’t manage to write. Today I made my super satisfying, oil-free, vegan cabbage soup and I realized I’ve never posted the recipe! I had meant to a few months ago but, well ….! Anyway, here it is today. Even though it only has a few ingredients I promise it will please!
I remember back in the day I used to love eating the cabbage soup from the salad bar and Big Boy restaurant in Ann Arbor. This memory came to me one very chilly morning during the rainy season here and it felt like the soup I remember would be just the thing to warm my bones. (Yes it’s cold here in Northern Tanzania in May-July, especially since we don’t have heat!)
I didn’t have a recipe but I figured I could make it up as I went along. I was not disappointed. I have made it several times since then and each time I am amazed how good it is.
- ½ cabbage
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small green pepper
- 2-3 plum tomatoes
- 1 hot pepper
- ½-1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped fine
- veggie broth or veggie bullion cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning or a combination of fresh or dried herbs such as oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1-2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Chop the veggies and put in your soup pot
- I left my hot pepper whole to add the flavor without adding too much heat
- Cover with water or broth
- Add bullion if you are using it
- Bring to simmer
- Add the spices and herbs
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until cabbage is soft
I hope you do two things. One, try this easy and delicious cabbage soup recipe. Second never be afraid to try to create a recipe on your own. This is a key part of gaining your kitchen confidence!
Oh, one more thing, don’t forget to share this post with your soup loving friends.