Even if you are not trying to eat all raw food many people recognize that they should include more raw fruits and vegetables in their diet. Here are seven ways you can add more raw food to your diet.
The Standard American Diet (SAD) is high in animal products and cooked and processed foods. This is the diet that is leading towards increasing disease and obesity.
Adding raw fruits and vegetables to your diet is important for achieving and maintaining good health. The higher the percentage of raw foods you include in your diet the better. More and more people are adopting a mostly or totally raw vegan diet. While you can create many delicious gourmet raw dishes such as raw pizza, raw nut burgers and raw desserts there are many simple ways to increase your whole plant-based food intake. Here are 7 EASY ways to add more raw food to your diet.
1. Start your day raw. Enjoy a fruit or green smoothie or fruit salad for breakfast.
2. Raw snaking. Load your purse, briefcase or lunchbox with easy to snack on raw fruits and veggies like carrot sticks, apples, oranges, bananas, broccoli florets, raw nuts and seeds or raw trail mix. Enjoy these for between meal snacks.
3. Include salad with your meal when eating out for lunch. Choose the “_______ and salad” option. Or order an entrée salad or a smaller salad and an appetizer rather than a full entrée. Strive to make the raw portion of your meal at least 50%.
4. Sprouts. Add raw sprouts to your salads, sandwiches, and to top other dishes. Sprouts are inexpensive if you grow them yourself. There are a variety of types you can grow.
To sprout, soak a few tablespoons of seeds overnight in a jar with a sprouting lid or covered with cheesecloth. Drain and rinse and drain again. Place the jar on its side on your counter top. Rinse twice a day. After they reach the desired “sproutie-ness” store them in the refrigerator. They will keep in the jar with sprouting lid for several days. Rinse before using.
5. Enjoy fresh fruit for dessert. Especially during the summer when there is an abundance of ripe fruit.
6. Avocado. Avocados can be used in so many ways. Guacamole is a wonderful raw snack or entrée item. Avocados make a delicious sandwich filling, either sliced or spread if soft. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and sprouts. When I know I will be eating somewhere where the raw selection will be meager I often bring an avocado with me to liven up to the house salad.
7. Marinate your Veggies. This is a very simple and amazingly delicious raw treat. The basic way is to cut up broccoli and marinate it in Italian dressing for at least 20 minutes. If you can make your own dressing using fresh, raw, unpasteurized ingredients that is even better. Here is the Recipe.
Vary this recipe by adding or substituting veggies. Use other dressings to complement your meal. Try snow peas and green onions with an Asian type dressing with sesame oil ginger. Zucchini, peppers, onions with a Mexican style dressing with cumin, cilantro, and chili powder. Let your imagination lead the way.
Going Further. When you are ready to add even more raw foods to your diet you will find many recipe books available and recipes on-line or here at Food For The Soul.