Tabouli is a Middle Eastern salad that makes a great side dish for falafel or as a addition to a wrap. This version replaces the traditional bulgur wheat with hemp seeds to create a totally raw dish.
Hemp seeds are available in most health food stores or the health food section of your local grocery store. They are soft and have a nutty flavor. They are full of healthy fats and protein and antioxidants and other nutrients. I also throw them into my smoothies to give them a creamy texture.
Here is my raw falafel topped with tabouli, olives and tahini sauce. Very tasty. I didn't have mint so I left that out of my tabouli.
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 roma tomatoes
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 1 TBL hemp oil
- 3 TBL lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions
- ½ cup chopped cucumber (optional)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Chop tomatoes and green onions.
- Add to medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well
- Taste and add more salt or pepper or lemon juice to get the flavor you desire.
- Serve as a side dish or as a topping for greens, falafel, or add to your wraps.