Deciding what to eat for breakfast can be one of the hardest things to figure out when you're eating vegan or raw vegan. Personally, I can happily have fruit salad or smoothies pretty much everyday but some folks need more.
You might want more variety. Or maybe you need something a bit more filling to keep you going till lunch. I've been adding more options to our breakfast routine to help keep us both satisfied. We now often have Chia Porridge or this Hearty Sweet and Spicy Porridge.
And now I have another addition, raw overnight refrigerator oatmeal. We think it tastes even better than cooked oatmeal. I posted a picture of my breakfast on social media a while back and folks asked for the recipe, so here it is!
It's so simple! And because you start it the night before, it makes a really fast breakfast the next morning. Simply add the oats and liquid to a container, put the lid on and put it in the fridge. I usually add the fresh fruit in the am, put it in a to-go container and we are all set!
I've been using my own homemade almond milk. Use the plant base milk of your choice. This is a raw oatmeal, (most oats have been heated during processing) but you could use any rolled or steel cut oats. Look in your local health food store for raw oatmeal or purchase it online.
- ½ cup raw oats or rolled oats
- ½ cup almond milk or the plant-based milk of your choice
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBL chia seeds
- ½-1 cup fruit of your choice
- The night before put oats, milk and raisins in an air-tight container.
- Mix well
- Put in the refrigerator overnight
- In the morning add the remaining ingredients and mix
- Add more milk or water if needed. The chia seeds will absorb the liquid so allow for that.
- You can substitute water or juice for the milk in this recipe.