Reducing or eliminating oil from your diet? We are. One of the main areas where I have used oil is in salad dressings so I have been experimenting with other options. Here is a delicious salad dressing I created that uses hemp seeds to replace the oil. This version uses orange juice but you can easily use other citrus juices or vinegars instead. If you like your dressings thicker simply add more hemp seeds.
I used this dressing to make a brussel sprout slaw. I thin sliced the brussel sprouts and poured the dressing over them, mixed well and let it sit for a half an hour.
- ¼ - ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro or 1 tsp dried herbs
- ½ tsp salt or 1 tsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- Place all the ingredients into your blender and blend until creamy
- For a thicker dressing use ½ cup hemp seeds, for thinner use ¼ cup
- Store in an air tight container in your refrigerator for up to a week