If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound? If a member posts a comment in the forums and no one is around to read it does community exist?
I often hear that black folks who are living the vegetarian lifestyle feel isolated. They may not know any or very many other black vegetarians. I felt that too before I moved down here to Atlanta.
One of the reasons I started this site was to help create a community among black vegetarians. I have been inspired and moved by the sharing some of you have done. Some of you have introduced yourself. Some of you comment on posts frequently. Some have shared recipes either by posting them yourself or emailing them to me.
To those of you who have done so I say "Thank you! Asante! Medase!"
On the other hand many more of you have stayed on the sidelines. You may have become a member but have not yet introduced yourself or shared your thoughts with us.
I know it can be hard to step up and speak out. I feel that way myself sometimes. I am naturally shy and tend to observe for a bit before I feel comfortable joining in.
I have committed to keeping this a safe space. I monitor it regularly. Internet "Trolls" and anyone who is abusive or insulting will be banned.
Here is my request. If you are sincere about this food revolution, if you are Afrikan descent and have or are interested in adopting a vegetarian lifestyle, let your voice be heard. Share your knowledge and experiences so we can learn together and from each other. Let's make this an active and supportive community.
Please do one or more of the following:
- Log in and update your profile. Add a photo of yourself so we can see who you are. Or add a photo of something that represents you if you are uncomfortable showing your face.
- Tell us something about yourself in the Introduce Yourself section of the forum. Let us know, are you vegetarian? vegan? raw? veggie-wanna-be? What are your success, challenges and how can this community and site help?
- Read the introductions of others in the forums and offer a reply, a comment, words of encouragement, or just say hello!
- Post your recipes
- Use the forum to ask questions, answer other folks questions, post updates or photos about your progress etc.
- "Friend" people who you know or interact with.
- Visit the Activity Feed each time you come to the site to see what other folks are doing. It will show you new posts, comments, forum activity etc.
Community support and connections are important especially when you are making changes or doing something that is different from the mainstream. So POST AWAY! Read and comment. Let's make this community forest alive and happenin!