This creamy and delicious vegan macaroni and cheeze recipe will please your whole family. When I ran an in-home day care many years ago I often served macaroni and cheese with mixed vegetables in it. It was a great way to get the kids who didn't like vegetables to eat them. I would just add some frozen mixed veggies in to what was at that time NOT a vegan recipe.
This recipe takes that idea and makes it dairy free, soy free, oil free and delicious. I used fresh veggies (carrots and peas) but you could certainly use frozen mixed vegetables. Toss them into the pot with the pasta when it is almost done. This keeps the veggies bright and colorful and slightly al dente.
The creamy, cheezy sauce is a surprising blend of potatoes, carrots, onions and cashews plus some seasoning and coconut milk. The result is surprisingly good.
- 1 pkg of dried macaroni or shell pasta
- 1 ½ cups of mixed veggies of your choice (peas, carrots, corn, lima beans, green beans)
- 1 ½ cup peeled and diced potatoes
- ⅓ cup peeled and diced carrots
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¾-1 cup of water from cooking the potatoes
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp of cayenne
- ¼ tsp of paprika
- Cook macaroni al dente
- During the final 3-5 minutes of pasta cooking time add the mixed veggies
- Drain and set aside
- Meanwhile place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a pot of water and boil until soft
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the water
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions to your blender
- Add the cooking water
- Add the cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and seasonings
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Pour sauce over your macaroni and mixed veggies
- Mix well
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
I've never tried making vegan macaroni and cheeze until now. I do believe I will be making this one on the regular. Do you have a favorite vegan macaroni and cheeze recipe? What makes it cheezy?